Software Engineer (Full Stack)
Appear Here is the leading marketplace for short-term retail space, working with everyone from industry leading brands to exciting start-ups. Our mission is to create a world where anyone with an idea can find space to make it happen. We’ve raised over $20m in funding to date - from tier one investors Balderton and Octopus, as well as some of the world’s largest landlords. Named one of Wired Magazine's ‘100 Hottest Start-Ups’ and The Financial Times’ most ‘Disruptive Companies,’ Appear Here has become the go-to destination to make innovative and creative retail ideas happen across London, Paris and New York. We believe we’re building a game changer for both the retail and property industries: and so far 90,000+ brands and 1000s of landlords agree with us.
As a part of our Product team, you will be a key part of implementing new features. You’ll be helping to build the best experiences for our brands, landlords and in-house concierge team. You’ll be happy driving us towards the right solutions and passionate in solving challenges with creative solutions.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
- Helping solve business critical problems through technology
- Participating in interesting projects such as:
- Building tools and recommendation engines to help match brands to their perfect short-term retail space
- Creating a first-class communications platform for our concierge team to keep their brands happy
- Providing continuous improvements in the way we collect and provide data for all teams to use when making decisions
- Improving our deployment pipeline to reduce the time taken to get changes into production
- Providing necessary data and functionality to our frontend developers, whether directly or through well-designed APIs
- Experimenting with new tools and technologies to produce cutting-edge solutions to business problems
- Be a part of a self organising, results oriented agile team using Kanban to ship new product
- Keeping our Stack relevant by helping to adopt a microservice-inspired architecture
WHY WE'LL LIKE YOU
We’re looking for a mid to senior level candidate who has:
- Strong skills in Ruby and Ruby on Rails; they’re the backbone of our Stack
- Knowledge of good database design and query optimisation
- You have opinions and want to do the right thing; we want you to own the product, and care about the direction it goes in
- You’re passionate about writing good code and high quality automated tests; we have no dedicated QA team, so it’s important for you to be able to test thoroughly
- Experience of AWS (or similar) services, such as EC2, RDS and RedShift; you’ll be exposed to these in this role, even if you have no previous Ops experience
A good understanding of any of the following would be a bonus:
- Elasticsearch, Sidekiq, state machines, data warehousing, and ETL processes
- Experience of managing applications on cloud environments (using tools such as OpsWorks)
WHY YOU’LL LIKE US
- We make ideas happen. Work with some of the most inspiring and innovative brands out there.
- We’re no bullshit. You won’t find office politics or excuses here – we say it how it is.
- We punch above. We give you the opportunity to achieve more than you thought you could.