Software Engineer (Full Stack)
Appear Here is the leading marketplace for short-term retail space, working with everyone from industry leading brands to exciting start-ups. From the guy with just an idea to the established brands like Chanel, Nike, Spotify and Netflix, we are here to make their idea happen by connecting them to the best spaces globally and providing a seamless experience to match their different needs and aspirations.
We’ve raised over $20m in funding to date – from tier one investors Balderton and Octopus, as well as some of the biggest in the retail and property industry, such as Natalie Massenet, founder of Net-a-Porter. Named one of Wired Magazine's ‘100 Hottest Start-Ups’ and The Financial Times’ most ‘Disruptive Companies’, Appear Here has become the go-to destination to make innovative and creative retail ideas happen across London, Paris and New York. We believe we’re building a game changer for both the retail and property industries, and so far 200,000+ brands and thousands of landlords joined our mission.
As a part of our Product team, you will be a key part of revolutionising our platform and bringing new features to life. You’ll be building an amazing user experience for brands and landlords globally. As well as creating a seamless backend platform for our Concierge Team and Landlord Partners.
Exciting challenges lie ahead—new destinations, technologies, and services. It’s a great time to join and be part of our increasingly diverse team that focus on finding creative solutions and, ultimately, empowering our global community. Come join us!
- Helping architect and building solutions to business critical problems
- Participating in interesting projects such as:
- Building tools and recommendation engines to help match brands to their perfect short-term retail space
- Creating a first-class communications platform for our concierge team to keep their brands happy
- Providing continuous improvements in the way we collect and provide data for all teams to use when making decisions
- Improving our deployment pipeline to reduce the time taken to get changes into production
- Providing necessary data and functionality to our frontend developers, whether directly or through well-designed APIs
- Experimenting with new tools and technologies to produce cutting-edge solutions to business problems
- Be a part of a self organising, results oriented agile team using Kanban to ship new product
- Keeping our Stack relevant by helping to adopt a microservice-inspired architecture
WHY WE LIKE YOU
We’re looking for a mid to senior level candidate who has:
- You have opinions and want to do the right thing; we want you to own the product, and care about the direction it goes in
- You’re passionate about writing good code and high quality automated tests; we have no dedicated QA team, so it’s important for you to be able to test thoroughly
- Knowledge of good database design and query optimisation
A good understanding of any of the following would be a bonus:
- Strong skills in Ruby and Ruby on Rails; they’re the backbone of our Stack
- Experience of AWS (or similar) services, such as EC2, RDS and RedShift; you’ll be exposed to these in this role, even if you have no previous Ops experience
- Elasticsearch, Sidekiq, state machines, data warehousing, and ETL processes
- Experience of managing applications on cloud environments (using tools such as OpsWorks)
WHY YOU’LL LIKE US
- We make ideas happen. Work with some of the most inspiring and innovative brands out there.
- We’re no bullshit. You won’t find office politics or excuses here – we say it how it is.
- We punch above. We give you the opportunity to achieve more than you thought you could.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT
Plenty of social activities, including board games evening at the office, product team nights out (bowling, darts, mini-golf, and more) and a monthly product team lunch at a local restaurant
Hear from amazing speakers within different industries. Appear Here hosts an 'Underground Session' event each month, inviting 4 experts to share their experiences and opinions. We also have an internal 'Global Gathering' once a year which includes exclusive talks from investors, industry-leading brands, and inspiring members of our community.
Sharing culture through our 'Product talks'. If you have learned something new, this is the place to share it with the team through a short presentation.
Friday lunch once a week our company comes together for a team lunch. This is an opportunity to get to know people from different teams while enjoying dishes from our favourite local restaurants.
SOME MORE PERKS
- Stock options. We believe everyone should be an owner.
- Scale with the business. This role offers the potential to have an incredible career trajectory.
- Team socials. From blindfolded martini making to sound baths, we organise quarterly team events that go big on experiences.
- Breakfast and snacks throughout the day (including our favourite cheeseboard).
- Work with different teams, across different projects.
- Best idea wins. Whether you’re an intern or the CTO, if you can make the case for it, we’ll make it happen.
- Opportunities and budget for personal learning development.
- Great location. We’re right next door to two of the best food markets in London. In your first week, we’ll send you out with different teams to show you the best eating spots.