Software Engineer (Full Stack)
Appear Here is the leading marketplace for short-term retail space, working with everyone from industry leading brands to exciting start-ups. Our mission is to create a world where anyone with an idea can find space to make it happen. We’ve raised over $20m in funding to date - from tier one investors Balderton and Octopus, as well as some of the world’s largest landlords. Named one of Wired Magazine's ‘100 Hottest Start-Ups’ and The Financial Times’ most ‘Disruptive Companies’, Appear Here has become the go-to destination to make innovative and creative retail ideas happen across London, Paris and New York. We believe we’re building a game changer for both the retail and property industries, and so far 100,000+ brands and thousands of landlords agree with us.
As a part of our Product team, you will be a key part of continuously improving our existing applications, and bringing new features to life. You’ll be helping to build the best experiences for our brands, landlords and in-house concierge team. You’ll be happy driving us towards the right solutions and passionate in solving challenges with creative solutions.
- Helping architect and building solutions to business critical problems
- Participating in interesting projects such as:
- Building tools and recommendation engines to help match brands to their perfect short-term retail space
- Creating a first-class communications platform for our concierge team to keep their brands happy
- Providing continuous improvements in the way we collect and provide data for all teams to use when making decisions
- Improving our deployment pipeline to reduce the time taken to get changes into production
- Providing necessary data and functionality to our frontend developers, whether directly or through well-designed APIs
- Experimenting with new tools and technologies to produce cutting-edge solutions to business problems
- Be a part of a self organising, results oriented agile team using Kanban to ship new product
- Keeping our Stack relevant by helping to adopt a microservice-inspired architecture
WHY WE LIKE YOU
We’re looking for a mid to senior level candidate who has:
- Strong skills in Ruby and Ruby on Rails; they’re the backbone of our Stack
- Knowledge of good database design and query optimisation
- You have opinions and want to do the right thing; we want you to own the product, and care about the direction it goes in
- You’re passionate about writing good code and high quality automated tests; we have no dedicated QA team, so it’s important for you to be able to test thoroughly
- Experience of AWS (or similar) services, such as EC2, RDS and RedShift; you’ll be exposed to these in this role, even if you have no previous Ops experience
A good understanding of any of the following would be a bonus:
- Elasticsearch, Sidekiq, state machines, data warehousing, and ETL processes
- Experience of managing applications on cloud environments (using tools such as OpsWorks)
WHY YOU’LL LIKE US
- We make ideas happen. Work with some of the most inspiring and innovative brands out there.
- We’re no bullshit. You won’t find office politics or excuses here – we say it how it is.
- We punch above. We give you the opportunity to achieve more than you thought you could.
Exposure to big brands from every sector of retail
Free team lunch every Friday
Breakfast and snacks
World class team and monthly team socials